Participate in Primary Research
Homeopathic Remedies in Chronic Whiplash
People suffering from whiplash associated disorder (chronic whiplash) can experience significant pain and/or disability lasting many months, and sometimes years following a traumatic event or episode of severe neck pain. Despite ongoing efforts to address the needs of these patients, there are limited treatment options.
Though there is limited research evidence to support their use, patients and practitioners can turn to homeopathy and over-the-counter homeopathic remedies as one possible therapeutic option. Anecdotes and homeopathic literature suggest that homeopathic remedies may be a safe and effective treatment option for those patients who continue to experience symptoms chronically.
This pilot, feasibility study will examine whether commonly recommended homeopathic remedies decrease disability and pain in people suffering from chronic whiplash.
Following an assessment and confirmation of chronic whiplash disorder, this study will involve once/month study visits for up to a period of 4 months. Participants will complete standardized assessment of pain and disability at each study visit. Homeopathic remedies will be dispensed by the study staff - participants will be required to take homeopathics at the recommended dose.
- Participants will be eligible if they have greater than 6 months of self-reported pain due to WAD and no prior use of homeopathy.
- The ability to participate in the study and answer the questionnaires.
- Participants must be of consenting age (18 years or older)
- Confirmation of history of WAD
- Record of physical exam and clinical assessment using either x-ray, CAT scan or MRI if appropriate, and blood work.
- Use of medication or other therapy is allowed during the study.
- Current or ongoing use of homeopathic remedies within four weeks prior to enrolling in the study.
- Start of a new form of therapy directed at alleviating the symptoms and signs of chronic whiplash within four weeks prior to enrolling in the study.
Location of study:
The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine
Up to four months (16 weeks)
When you register for this study, please include the best days and times to call you about the study.
Whiplash Associated Disorder or Chronic Whiplash
1255 Sheppard Ave East, Toronto ON M2K 1E2
647-557-6111 ext 336