The Lab Testing Series is a new high-quality, evidence-informed webinar series that will examine the value of laboratory testing in clinical practice. It is open to students, naturopathic doctors and other healthcare practitioners, and is designed to improve patient care by helping practitioners recognize clinical presentations, select appropriate tests, establish baselines, interpret lab tests, monitor treatment progress, explain test results, and further clinical hypotheses.
This foundational session will focus on core testing and specifically the application of kidney & electrolytes lab testing in clinical practice.
- Review how the routine laboratory tests for kidney function were developed and came into use.
- Understand how reference ranges are established for laboratory tests and the advantages and disadvantages of this method of assessing laboratory results.
- Know how the evidence base to support the use of specific laboratory tests is derived and the variations and errors within this approach.
- Classify laboratory tests by their ability to screen for disease, make a diagnosis, establish a baseline, give a prognosis, and monitor the effectiveness of treatment and the progression of the disease.
- Recognise the clinical presentations in your patient that should lead to laboratory testing for kidney disease.