Asian medicine theory & therapeutics
Credits: 5 Category A
Open to: Fourth-year students NDs Health-care practitioners
Course type: On-demand
This 5.5 hour course is an in depth review and refresher course covering Asian medicine theory and therapeutics. This course is suitable for NDs or other healthcare practitioners wishing to review Asian medicine theory and therapeutics, or as a review for naturopathic students preparing for NPLEX 2 examinations.
- Review asian medicine diagnosis including external patterns, internal patterns and pathologies
- Review of pulse and tongue diagnosis
- Review of acupuncture point locations including safety, indications and contraindications
- Review clean needle technique
- Review the uses, indications and contraindications for adjunct therapies including cupping, moxibustion and electro-acupuncture
Neemez Kassam, M.Sc., ND, R.Ac.
Dr. Neemez Kassam, ND, is a licensed naturopathic doctor and a registered acupuncturist. After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a B.Sc. he continued his academic career by attending Bastyr University in Seattle, Washington to earn a M.Sc. in acupuncture, as well as completing the first two years of naturopathic medicine. Upon completing the M.Sc., Dr. Kassam moved to Toronto where he completed the final two years of the naturopathic medical program at CCNM. Dr. Kassam is currently an associate professor and the department head in Asian medicine at CCNM, and has been teaching there since 2001. He has been the proud recipient of the "Excellence in Teaching Award" for the past six years as voted on by the graduating classes.